laundry
  • Best of Year 2015
  • Editors' Choice

Electrolux EWMED70JIW Dryer Review

This Electrolux is more than it appears.

Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.

See how this powerhouse, dazzling machine did on our drying tests. Our results show how the Electrolux EWMED70JIW fared with regard to water retention, temperature, and cycle duration.

Normal and Delicate Cycles

Will the pretty pennies you spend on this Electrolux buy you great go-to cycles?

Peaking at just 143ºF, the Normal cycle was the hottest that we tested on the Electrolux. Clothes came out perfectly dry in just under an hour. No surprises here, just standard drying performance.

The Delicate cycle reached a peak heat of only 113ºF. This is truly ideal for a Delicate load, as cooler temperatures are typically gentler on fabrics and don't cause as much fading or damage. The Electrolux only got our clothes down to 98 percent of their bone dry weight, which is actually a good thing. If you're drying items that will have to be ironed afterwards, however, that extra bit of moisture can be helpful, and it sure beats overdrying.

Quick and Bulky Cycles

Can this Electrolux handle quick work and bulky items?

The Electrolux's Fast Dry cycle didn't do a great job, and was the only cycle that really let us down. Clearly designed for smaller loads than the light, four pound batch that we used, this cycle ran for just 14 minutes and got clothes down to 58 percent of their bone dry weight. If you're hoping to dry small batches of clothes very quickly, you may need about twice as long to remove all excess moisture. Alternatively, you could just do a Timed Dry for the same length at a hotter temperature; Fast Dry peaked at just 113ºF, the same maximum heat as the Delicate cycle.

The Bulky test is usually where our dryers fail. No matter how good they do on every other cycle, the Bulky test proves to be too challenging. Not so for the Electrolux: taking just over an hour and a half, our test comforter reached a 90 percent level of dryness. This is excellent, especially considering that temperatures peaked at only 129ºF. The center of our comforter only got to 99ºF, however, which explains that remaining 10 percent of moisture. If you don't mind going down and flipping your bulky items around during the drying process, this machine should definitely be able to take of the job.

Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.
Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

What's Your Take?

All Comments