laundry
  • Best of Year 2015
  • Editors' Choice

Electrolux EWMED70JIW 8.0 Cu. Ft. Electric Island White Dryer Review

Come one, come all, to see one of the most versatile appliances on the market today.

Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.

Speed & Performance Overview

Drying speed tended toward the average: Normal and Delicate tests ran just under an hour, while the Bulky cycle took about an hour and a half. Temperatures tended toward the cool side, which means the Electrolux will likely take better care of your clothes than many other models available. The drying itself wasn't perfect—the only cycle to achieve complete dryness was the Normal setting—but other results came close enough to exhibit promise, as long as you throw clothes back in for an extra five or ten minutes.

Normal Cycle Performance

Peaking at 143 degrees Fahrenheit, the Normal cycle was the hottest that we tested on the Electrolux. Clothes came out perfectly dry in just under an hour. No surprises here, just standard drying performance.

{{ attachments(50fc520dbd0286f12a000863)

Delicates Cycle Performance

As mentioned above, the Delicate cycle reached a peak heat of just 113 degrees Fahrenheit. This is ideal for a Delicate load, as cooler temperatures are typically gentler on fabrics and don't cause as much fading or damage. The Electrolux only got our clothes down to 98 percent of their bone dry weight, which isn't perfect. If you're drying items that will have to be ironed afterwards, though, that extra bit of moisture can actually be helpful.

{{ attachments(50fc520dbd02862d77000865)

Bulky Cycle Performance

The Bulky test is usually where our dryers fail. No matter how good they do on every other cycle, the Bulky test proves to be too challenging. Not so for the Electrolux: taking just over an hour and a half, our test comforter reached a 90 percent level of dryness. This is excellent, especially considering that temperatures peaked at only 129 degrees. The center of our comforter only got to 99 degrees, however, which explains that remaining 10 percent of moisture. If you don't mind going down and flipping your bulky items around slightly during the drying process, this machine should definitely be able to take of them.

{{ attachments(50fc520fbd0286696b00088e)

Quick Dry Cycle Performance

The Electrolux's Fast Dry cycle didn't do a great job, and was the only cycle that really let us down. Clearly designed for smaller loads than even the light, four pound batch that we used, this cycle ran for just 14 minutes and got clothes down to 58 percent of their bone dry weight. If you're hoping to dry small batches of clothes very quickly, you may need about twice as long to remove all excess moisture. Alternatively, you could just do a Timed Dry for the same length at a hotter temperature; Fast Dry peaked at just 113 degrees, the same maximum heat as the Delicate cycle.

{{ attachments(50fc520fbd028600af00088d)

Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.

Sections

  1. Introduction
  2. Design
  3. Drying Speed & Performance
  4. Drying Features
  5. Controls & Usability
  6. Conclusion
Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Our editors review and recommend products to help you buy the stuff you need. If you make a purchase by clicking one of our links, we may earn a small share of the revenue. Our picks and opinions are independent from any business incentives.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

What's Your Take?

All Comments